|Cultivating sanctuary in nature, environmental stewardship and the legacy of southern horticulture.|
History of Wing Haven Gardens
Wing Haven Gardens & Bird Sanctuary has been a special part of Charlotte since its creation by Elizabeth and Edwin Clarkson in 1927. The gardens, enclosed on all sides by brick walls, encompass almost three acres in the heart of Charlotte and include lovely vistas, formal gardens, and woodland areas.
Throughout, the emphasis is on plantings for birds and other wildlife—providing cover, nesting sites, food, and water. Plaques and statuary, integrated into the garden walls and paths, reflect the spirit and beauty of Wing Haven and its creators. Visitors marvel not only at the gardens but the frequent sightings of birds and the small wildlife scampering throughout the property.
The Bird Sanctuary
Wing Haven Foundation
The Clarksons gave the gardens to the Wing Haven Foundation in 1971, and, since that time, its Board of Directors has been responsible for maintaining this lovely spot in keeping with the Clarksons’ spirit and intent.